Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Revolution 2012?

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon.....
As I munched on my lunch lazily at the dining table, my dad said " Solar panels are available for Rs. 60. wanna buy?"
I literally spilled some food out of my mouth and my eyes popped out in shock (not exaggerating here!)
Then, I told him atleast 20 times repeatedly "Are you kidding me? Do you know what you are saying?" 
(I felt it was a crime to say something like that, that too so easily!)

I asked him his source, he said "Its in the paper today!". I ran across the living room, nearly tore TOI and started scanning through it! I wondered how I missed it out. Eventually, din't find any such story, at this point my dad goes like "Might be in Dainik Jagran". And I was amazed again. So this time picked up the Hindi newspaper and it was right there.

Some shops in Lajpat Rai Market in Delhi have started selling 'Chinese' made cheap solar panels. How cheap?
Well, digest this: Rs.60 per watt! The article goes on to lament that how the prices have come down from Rs. 260 to Rs. 60. What I wonder is, how did our 'English' national dailies skip this story?

Can't wait to go to this market and see it for myself. Till then, I am still in disbelief.
According to the article, people have started flocking to this shop and are taking back solar panels for their homes. It says pay Rs.1100 to light 3 bulbs! Solar inverters are available for Rs.15,000.

Has China done it again? How do they achieve such a fleet each time? With every product under the sun! (pun intended)
Does this mean, finally this technology will be adopted by the masses?
Things that we need to find out: Quality and warranty of these panels? How much does the battery cost?
For eye-witness account, wait till tomorrow as I plan on visiting this place and finding out for myself, what really is happening! (Till then save this image and zoom in to read the whole story)

3 comments:

Gaurav said...

This is truly amazing if its true, and I'd be very interested in installing these panels at home. Do post an update about what you find out at the market. Thanks!

Gaurav

Rozita Singh said...

I will find out more on this and post again. I am also looking for solar panels for my home. Currently exploring the Solar AC market...

Manu Sharma said...

A follow up to this post is available here.

The name and address of the shop is:

Makhija Electronics, Shop No. 768, Old Lajpat Rai Market, Delhi-6. Contact No. 9810165781